Last week I posted pictures of two Anthropologie pillows that I love. Here is my attempt at that style of pillow:
Now that it’s all done, I wish I would’ve done one more strip of the green on the left to make it a little wider. But overall, I’m pretty happy with it.
Originally I was going to make the pillow out of burlap, because I’m kind of obsessed with burlap right now. But while I was cutting it, the smell was so intense it made me nauseous. Not to mention, burlap is not all that soft of a material for a pillow (yes Mom, you were right!). So I decided to switch to linen instead. It doesn’t have quite as much texture as I was hoping for, but it works.
For the green, I actually used thick cloth ribbon that I saved from the wrapping on some of our wedding gifts. That was over five years ago! I liked the color, which is why I saved it. So I’m glad I finally found a use for it.
It took me a while to figure out how to get the crumpled, pleated look. What ended up working the best for me was folding each strip of ribbon like an accordion, and then press it with an iron.
Then, to get the wrinkled look, I crumpled the strips in a ball and pressed them again with the iron.
When I sewed the strips on the pillow, they looked like this:
It’s not perfect, but it definitely turned out way better than I thought it would!
This is the next pillow I’m going to tackle from Cluck Cluck Sew:
Wish me luck!